Home My PBR NewsEvents TicketsBulls/Riders Media Community Info Shop

Back To The Main Site FAQFAQ  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
JW Hart Touring Pro Event in Decatur

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdtucker1

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: JW Hart Touring Pro Event in Decatur Reply with quote

Here's a pretty lengthy blow-by-blow account of the event in Decatur that I originally posted in my Notes section of my facebook page. I know that some of ya'll are as hard-up for any bullriding news that you can get, so I took notes and wrote about every single ride and everything I saw. Ya'll should have seen the faces on those around me as they watched me take tons of notes, highlight things and send numerous updates to my friends on facebook and Twitter!!! Very Happy The folks around me didn't know quite what to make of me--lol!!! So here's my account of the evening--again, it's really long...consider yourself forewarned!

Attending the JW Hart Challenger Event was something that I looked forward to over a month. And it was worth all the hype I’d created in my little mind for it!!! I originally bought just a ticket for myself, minus my daughter—a belated Mother’s Day present for myself. I had resigned myself to going alone and texting my friends who were sitting on the other side of the stadium…but it was all good, because it was a great seat. Then Webpbr and TWTX could not go to the event, which made me very sad, but I was blessed enough that they allowed me to have their tickets and I took my friend—we’ll call her “New Fan” for the sake of privacy with me. (I had originally thought I’d found a taker for my extra ticket, but that didn’t pan out—oh well.) New Fan went to a rodeo as a child, but she hadn’t seen bullriding in over 20 years, so she’s been trying to understand my obsession with the sport.

(I digress here a bit in the next 2 paragraphs, but hang with me, my forum friends!) I picked New Fan up at a Starbucks in McKinney around 5 p.m. I thought we’d get to the event early and try to chat with some of the riders. However, this was not meant to be. Thanks to Google Maps, I saw some of the most beautiful countryside that I’ve seen in quite awhile. I even commented to New Fan that this was what I wanted most in life—a nice (but not necessarily extravagant) home with lots of land. She asked me what I would do with myself living out in the country. I looked at her and then looked at the gorgeous green rolling pastures where cattle were grazing. I took in the blue sky with white, puffy clouds and the houses that periodically dotted the landscape. I told her something to the effect of what I feel—there’s just something about the rolling pastures and the land that makes me feel completely happy, serene and totally at peace within myself when I am surrounded by this type of landscape. The only thing that could have made me happier at that moment was if I owned the beautiful land we were passing through… I think New Fan might suspect I’m crazy, but that’s really how I feel. Nothing in the world relaxes me more than gazing at grazing lands…go figure!!! So in a way, I was glad we got lost on our excursion—Google maps dumped us out about 10 miles on the opposite side of town where we were supposed to be, by the way.

Since we were hopelessly lost, New Fan turned on her dying cell phone long enough to use the gps feature to get us to the right place. We didn’t get to park and get into the arena until almost 7:30. <sigh> No time to do much except go to the bathroom, grab a hot dog and get to our seats. We did manage to run across another PBR fan that I met through TWTX on facebook—we’ll call her Miss A. It was great to meet her and chat, but since we didn’t have much time, we all went to our respective seats and I just texted her throughout the event. The seats we had were awesome, but a little awkward. We were in Section 1, closest to the chutes, which was totally cool. We sat in the part that was directly above the walkway ramp. Basically, we could have dangled our feet over the walkway ramp if we had been so inclined. This was great because it allowed us leg-room that no one else had and alleviated some of my claustrophobia issues. Also, the seat next to me didn’t sell, so we had a little extra space (of course, everyone used that space when they were tromping up and down to their seats). The older gentleman next to me looked a little scary in his wife-beater muscle shirt, beer gut and tattoos, but he and his wife were actually quite nice. We chatted a bit–well as much as we could with people crawling over us to get to their seats. This is one thing I’ve noticed about small arenas that I don’t like—there are no aisles. People are literally crawling over each other to get to their seats—not cool.

Finally, a little after 8 the event starts. It’s like mini-PBR! They had some pyrotechnics while introducing the riders. I am completely convinced that if I was a rider, I would set myself on fire before every event—they stand so close to it!!! The announcers were the “big” guys from PBR Clint Adkins and Brandon Bates. The entertainer was a guy from South Carolina that I didn’t know, but he was pretty funny. There were 4 bullfighters including Frank Newsom and Darryl Diefenbach (sp?). One of the bullfighters was from Australia… There were two safety guys on horses, one of whom was Cody Lambert. Adriano Moreas was up near the booth hanging out and Paulo Crimber was running around too…which made me happy since those were two of my fave all-time riders. (really wish I could have met them…<big sigh>) After the pageantry of the opening and a beautiful rendition of the National Anthem by JW’s wife LeAnn, it was time to start the event.

So “Here we go” as the announcer likes to say.

Section/Flight 1:

This started with Robson Aragao “Spiderman” bucking off pretty quick on Panda’s Tracks.  I really wish he was doing better—would like to see him stay on tour, but that’s probably not going to happen at the rate he’s going. Matt Bohon and Kolt Donaldson both followed with buck-offs on Pretty Boy Floyd and Chili Pepper, respectively. (This should have clued me on how the night was going to go—only 10 of 45 riders covered their bulls.) Valdiron de Oliveira was up next on “Feelin’ So Fly” and he made bullriding look easy as he made it to the buzzer and scored an 87 even. Next, Pim Rosa bucked off of Jed Clampett and then Robert Covington bucked off “Da Bidness.” The last rider of the section, Calyton Baethge managed to make a couple of corrections and cover his bull for an 81.5.

Section/Flight 2:

Cord McCoy started this section by riding Briar Patch for an 82.5. Next, Derek McCormack rode Nubby for an 85 even. I remember thinking that as much as I adore Cord, Derek’s form was a lot better… Kasey Hayes then rode Ox Bar for a 76.5. Thanks to the sluggish bull, Kasey was offered a re-ride. Corey Navarre bucked off super quick on High Steaks and got his leg stepped on pretty good, but he was able to get up and limp out of the arena on his own. Josh Still and Markus Mariluch both bucked off within the first two jumps on 766 Azusa Street and Group W Productions. We finally got to see another ride when Aaron Pass rode Mr. Personality next for an 82. Next was Almir Dantas on Dirt Road Gypsie. I swear this bull was feeling the groove of the music. It looked like he was breaking it down to some old school rap (can’t remember the song, but it was something with a good beat). It looked like the bull decided to shake it down to the ground but got stuck…So the bull went from grooving to feet splayed out on the ground and stuck in about half a second. It was pretty funny. Almir got the brilliant scor of 56 thanks to ole Gypsie so he took the re-ride option.

Section/Flight 3:

This section began with Colby Scallions bucking off of Best Ever. Next was legendary Ronnie Kitchen who had a lot of trouble in the chutes on Priceless. He was bucked really quickly off this very rank bull. Next Jimmy Crosby, who also bucked off quickly on Wine-Hu. Wine-Hu is a bull to be reckoned with!!! He was one of the top bulls of the night…wow! That’s all I can say! Unfortunately for Crosby, he bucked off and landed underneath this bull. He took some shots and was really lucky to walk out on his own, I though. Finally we saw another ride when David Hudson scored an 85 on Dexter. At this point, New Fan and I discussed how this bull got his name. Was it after Dexter, the serial killer on the tv show Dexter or after the cartoon character Dexter. New Fan decided that if they named their bull after a serial killer, we needed to leave because that was just too creepy. So we went with the cartoon…lol. Who knows who the bull is named after—could’ve been named after a real person for all we know! Next out we saw an awesome ride by Douglas Duncan on Classified. Great bull + talented rider = 88. So Duncan took the lead from Valdiron at this point. Next Scottie Knapp got bucked off Copp Hou (another rank, awesome bull that scored in the top 10 bulls of the night). I thought Knapp was going to make it to 8, but he didn’t quite get the job done. However, considering how great the bull was, I found Knapp to be pretty impressive with his skills. The last rider of the round was a previous Daisy Rookie of the Year—Reese Cates. He looked really good on Copper Cash and scored on 85.

Next there was an intermission and the “All-Star Equestrian Foundation” showed off their awesome skills. This is a group of people who teach special-needs kids to ride and let the kids participate in contests. The young riders did a great job showing off their horses and their horsemanship. That’s a really neat organization and it was cool seeing the kids because you can tell that riding gave them confidence and purpose. Then it was back to bullriding.

Section/Flight 4:

I refer to this as the depressing section/flight because all the riders bucked off. Jason O’Hearn was first and almost made it, but couldn’t quite get the job done on Loverboy. Sevi Torturo bucked off Skyjacker next. Dusty LaBeth followed, bucking off of Rustler’s Paradise….this is where I don’t understand re-ride options. The bull’s leg got caught briefly in part of the chute as he was jumping. I guess because the bull didn’t actually fall, there was no re-ride. But he was bucking mostly in the chute—I guess I just expect them to buck outside of the chute… Next was Renato’s older brother Marcelo Nunes on Power Line. This bull got more air than Air Jordan. Wow!!! And even though Marcelo didn’t make it to the whistle, I found it absolutely amazing that he made it past the first 2 jumps. I had commented on some of TWTX’s facebook pictures that Renato reminded me of the Stretch Armstrong toys from back in the day. Marcelo also got the Stretch Armstrong gene apparently. If Marcelo keeps riding like that, he’ll start making the whistle and could be someone to watch in the future. Luis Blanco was up next, but Pure Poison refused to cooperate. They never could get him out of the chute, so Blanco was offered a re-ride and they moved on. Bryan Richarson bucked off Thunderstruck and Randy Quartieri was off on RJ 857 super quick—after the first jump.

Section/Flight 5:

This flight had 10 riders and only 1 score… <sigh> It began with Bushwacker (what a bull!!!) bucking off Nic Lica on his first jump out of the chute. Logan Knibbe got hung up early and finally bucked off Hebert 614. Colby Yates got about halfway to the buzzer on Judgement Day before judged/bucked off. Danny McDowell was bucked off early on Hebert 710. Finally Luke Williams scored a 79.5 on Rock-N-Whirl. Dustin Hall was bucked off on the second jump by JW’s bull, Flirting With Disaster. However, Hall was offered a re-ride because he never nodded and the gate opened early. Travis Lively then bucked off another good bull Tomahawk, followed by Travis Morgan who got slammed into the gate on Boo Hou—ouch! Rowdy Morgan, who won the event in 2008, looked great for the first 6-7 seconds, but bucked off before the buzzer on Hawaiian Rock (yet another good-looking bull). Jesse Chisum then bucked off a rank Mad Max to end the section/flight.

Section/Flight 6:

This section/flight began with a scare when Cody Nance bucked off of Comanche Moon. Nance made a great correction early on, but took a bad shot after he bucked off. Sports Medicine had to come out to assist him, but they were able to get him on his feet and walking after a couple minutes, so that was a relief. Jamie dos Santos was off on the first jump on Moon—who had the highest bull score of the night. This bull came out bucking really high—I think they’re breeding some of these bulls with NBA stars!!! If I remember correctly, dos Santos not only came off on the first jump, but he was the guy that resembled a baseball as he was pitched forward so fast!!! Poor guy! Dustin Toothaker then bucked off on the first jump with Magic, but something was apparently wrong (didn’t catch it, sorry, people were moving around and I couldn’t really see) and he was offered a re-ride. Justin Adams was off of Sleeper really quick. Then it was Mike Lee’s turn. I love Mike Lee…he’s so awesome. Unfortunately, Lil Red Kat doesn’t share my opinion and bucked Lee off after just a couple of seconds. Josh Faircloth then bucked off Atomic Punk and Stormy Wing bucked off Wake Up Call to end the section/flight.

Re-rides were done after this section. Only Kasey Hayes was able to produce another score when he rode for 83.5

Next was another intermission. We got to see some junior bull-riding on the miniature bulls. There were 10 young riders, and I think 3 scores. JW’s nephew got one of the scores, but the winner was a kid named Colton who scored a 77. This was a fun thing to watch—not just because the kids were cute and some showed us a glimpse of the future of PBR, but the mini-bulls were just hysterically funny. NONE of them wanted to go back into the pen. Every last one of them went to the other end of the arena and almost all of them had to be roped. One even had to be dragged out of the arena after laying down several times and pretty much just propping his legs up in the air and playing dead….totally cracked me up!!! It gave me a whole new respect for the “big guys.” The big bulls seem to be better aware of what their jobs are and are professional enough to know where to go after the ride ends (well, for the most part!).

After the intermission, there was the draft for the short-go. This took an interesting twist when they let the stock contractors come up to the shark cage and pick the riders they wanted on their bulls. This is the opposite of the norm where the riders go up to the shark cage and pick the bulls. JW speculated that Valdiron would go last in similar fashion to the rankest bulls when the cowboys are picking. However he went third when Edward Martinez chose him to ride Say When.

They seemed to ride a little out of order in this round, and I didn’t think to number who rode in what order, so the following is totally out of order. There were only 2 rides in the short-go. Valdiron bucked off surprisingly early on Saw When (another bull with NBA DNA) said when after about 2 seconds. Also bucked off quickly were Cord McCoy on Big Iron, Luke Williams on Far West, and Kasey Hayes on Parrot Head. Derek McCormack bucked off Kabookie and Douglas Duncan bucked off Spitfire. David Hudson bucked off early on Perfect Poison but was given a re-ride…where he bucked off again later on. Reese Cates bucked off Sharped Dressed Kid and all I can say about that is “Thank God for vests and helmets!!!” It was a rough ride from the get-go and he got hung up pretty good. The only riders to score were Clayton Baethge with an 89 on Buffalo Hump and Aaron Pass with an AWESOME ride on Insaniac for a 91.
TWTX

Location: TX: #1 Fav: Kody Lostroh '09 World Champion - Member of: KLUMS

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome review of the event! Lots of info we never get about touring pro events! I think you get the reward for the "best review" !!! Laughing

Riders: Josh Koschel/Wiley Petersen
Bulls:SoulJa Boy/North Star
cdtucker1

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TWTX--aw shucks!!!! Embarassed I don't know about getting any rewards... I just know how much we are all already missing PBR and wishing summer break would hurry. (of course, we're all glad the riders are getting rested, but man it's a long time til mid-July) I wish I had edited this before posting it, but even with typos I think most people will understand what I'm trying to say...

I noticed that my last 2 paragraphs didn't make it into my original posting, so I thought I'd include them here...not any new info, just a wrap-up of points and places earned...

...So Aaron Pass was the winner for the night with a total of 173 points with Clayton Bathge coming in second with 170.5 points. Douglas Duncan placed 3rd with 88 points, Valdiron 4th with 87 points, and a tie for 5th between Reese Cates, David Hudson and Derek McCormack with 85 points. 8th place went to Kasey Hayes with 83.5 points, 9th place to Cord McCoy with 82 points and 10th place to Luke Williams with 79.5 points.

It was a great night for the bulls and some of the riders. And my friend New Fan now understands my passion for the sport a little better. While she says she will never be the obsessed fan that I am, she admits to being totally stoked by the whole thing. Getting out of the parking lot took forever!!! We probably should have stayed and tried to get autographs, but I was worried about getting New Fan back to her fiancé. In retrospect, lurking for autographs would have been a much better way to spend our time versus waiting 30 minutes in a line in the parking lot to get out. Oh well, live and learn!!!
cdtucker1

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thanks again TWTX for the tickets!!! My friend and I appreciated them so much!!!!
TWTX

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdtucker1 wrote:
And thanks again TWTX for the tickets!!! My friend and I appreciated them so much!!!!

No problem! I was just glad someone could use them since we were not able to go. Laughing We actually had two tickets to the 2008 finals that were wasted because we could not sell them. (We were not able to go) But luckily I was able to go last year 2009... I would have had a heart attack if I would have missed the Finals last year with Kody winning it all! Wow, that just makes me a little sad thinking of Kody and not seeing him ride for sooo long. *crys* Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Sure hope all is going well for him and his surgery on his elbow goes well!!!

cdtucker1

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We actually had two tickets to the 2008 finals that were wasted because we could not sell them.

Bummer!!! Oh well, at least you got to see Kody win last year. I hope he is healing well (he seems to be from what info we get) and I hope to see him back soon!!!
mmeier71

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great review cdtucker1. It took the edge off of my withdrawl. I had no idea it would be so hard. I am glad I saved the last 3 events on my dvr. I am going to watch them over and over until I have them memorized.
Austin Meier's #1 Fan!
cdtucker1

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It took the edge off of my withdrawl. I had no idea it would be so hard.

Glad I could take the edge off!!! Wink That's why I actually took notes and wrote down every single little thing...okay, well honestly I'm just a nerd that way, but I figured my fellow addicts would appreciate my nerdier qualities in this circumstance!!!

I, too, save the last 3 events on my dvr, along w/a couple Total Bull episodes and the Junior Seau bullfighter episode...it's gonna be a LONG summer!!!!

Hopefully others will get to go to some touring pro events and post some reviews...that'd be cool...
TWTX

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdTucker1 wrote:

Quote:
Hopefully others will get to go to some touring pro events and post some reviews...that'd be cool...

Okay, now you are really putting the pressure on the rest of us. I know I will not give such a full account of the events I go to. I will claim age as a reason ,,, my memory just is not as good!!! Shocked Laughing But I will at least be able to post who wins!!! hee hee! Shocked Wink Laughing and maybe a few pics!! Laughing

cdtucker1

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and maybe a few pics!!

A picture's worth a thousand words!!! I've got to get a camera before I go to another event!!!

I don't expect anyone else to take as many notes as me(w/the possible exception of Webpbr-lol). Just a nice little review with the winners, any BFTS rider sightings and lots of pictures will work quite well!!! Very Happy
thewarners

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Thanks so much for the review. I felt like I was there after reading your very detailed review. I couldn't stop laughing at the "mini bull" part. It sounds hilarious!

Thanks for taking the time to take all the notes and then write it all for us to read! Great Job!
cdtucker1

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewarners--I'm glad ya'll liked my review...

I have GOT to buy a camera before the next event that I attend, though!!! Then I can bring back photographic evidence of the thrills, spills & laughter!!! Very Happy
chevylady96

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdtucker1~ awesome play by play!! thanks for much for sharnig, certainly is helps with my No PBR this year(most likely Sad )

Riders: Shane Proctor, Dustin Elliott
Bulls: Walk the Line, Frosty, Wine Me Up, Optimist Prime
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TeamPBR Forum Forum Index -> Event Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: